Skip to main content

Summer Plans

Hey all, miss Moxie is back at it again. After a few set backs and long contemplation, I have decided to set  foot on a 1,175 mile footpath this summer, the Mountain to Sea Trail (MST). As the name insinuates the trail runs from the mountains to the sea, specifically Clingman's dome to Jockey's Ridge State Park. I will be setting out on Memorial Day and plan to finish no later than August 1. This is allowing 8 rather than the comfortable 10-12 weeks I should take to accomplish such a feat. I am ready for the challenge and could not be more excited.

Continuing from my AT thru-hike in 2014, I will be supporting the veteran community, specifically, Warrior Expeditions and attempting to raise 22.00 per day to represent the 22 deaths by suicide of veterans each day. Warrior Expeditions is a non-profit organization that sends groups of veterans on long term trips to have a chance to "Walk/Paddle/Bike off the War". You can learn more about the organization as well as make a donation on my behalf at https://warriorexpeditions.org/support/kasie-taylor/.

I plan to log my days and write a brief summary each week which will be updated on this blog. I will also create photo albums that may be posted here or in a Google album. If you are interested in my hike, in Warrior Expeditions, or just hiking in general, please follow me and feel free to e-mail me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

I look forward to starting my journey and sharing it with you.
<3 Moxie  

Comments

  1. I look forward to hear of your journey (everyday!). Be safe!! I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1

Week one seems like a pretty boring title relative to everything I have experienced this week. I mean why name it "Week 1" when it could be called, "my first solo encounter with a bear" or "that time I was charged by a turkey" or what about "that time I got lost while hiking on the MST" or "lets trade feet", all of these would be great titles, but I just couldn't choose, so here we are with Week 1. Before I go into detail of the "hypothetical/could be titles" (all of which are true), let me give you the stats of my hike. Currently, I am on Day 10 (taking a zero day in Asheville). I am averaging 17 mile days (that is with minimal hiking for 24 hours, due to being 'misplaced'. My shortest day has been 16.9 miles and my longest day has been 23 miles. I have completed Segments 1 and 2. Let me tell you a bit about both. Segment 1 is 68.9 miles of challenging terrain with well maintained, marked, and switchbacked trail

Week 4

This week has brought on a whole new slew of issues. Here I am, out of the mountains, thinking everything is going to be so easy. Wrong!  Just outside of hanging rock state park, I began my bicycling journey on the MST. This is something that wasnt originally planned, but happened to workout with the timing of Zack coming down. The thing is, I've never bicycled with weight and my bike is not set up as a touring bike. So, I hopped on the bike with my pack and was ready to go. Again, wrong! Where I started cycling was a tad bit hilly. Just a few pedals in, I was huffing and puffing and my legs felt like they couldn't push me or my bike any further. I had been less than 100 yards before I was feet on the tar, hands on the bars, walking my bike up this hill I'd never seen before.  I had walked over 500 miles, I am strong! I thought. I have lost 17 lbs, I am lighter I assumed. Biking was suppose to be easy! Instead, it made me feel weak and out of shape! At that moment, I co