Skip to main content

Pre-hike Thoughts


I start my hike tomorrow and I couldnt be more excited. Planning for this hike has been so much different than when I prepared for the Appalachian Trail in 2014. In 2014, I had never been backpacking and didnt know anything about walking long distances, shelters, privies, one person tents, backpacks, purifying water, hiking boots, or how far 2,000 miles was. Now, I would say, I am somewhat of an expert in most of those subjects; however, I am aware there is always room for improvement. For this hike, I have a whole different purpose, I have a purpose. In 2014, I just thought it would be something fun to do, in 2017, it is something I feel like I need to do.

I have been longing for the trail since I got off of it in August of 2014. I spend my weekends hiking mountains and I spend rainy days planning hikes, but these day hikes just don’t do it for me. I feel like I am at a spot where Forest Gump once was. He just wanted to run and run and run and well I just want to walk and walk and walk. I have a desire to wake up, eat, and walk some more. I hope that within the next 1000 miles that will wear off and I will be able to come back to civilization not longing for the trail as much as I have these past 6 months.

It was in January that I decided to thru-hike the MST. Originally, I had planned to lead summer trips for Outward Bound, a well-known organization that incorporates outdoor education with trip leading. Unfortuantely, I was not hired. At the time,  I was quite bummed, but quickly bounced back when I decided I would use this summer to travel. Since, I have been planning my summer hiking.

I am not quite sure why I settled on for the Mountains to Sea trail, besides the fact that it is close to home. After being fully committed, I thought that hiking this trail in the summer was quite a dumb idea, considering it does get pretty hot in the South in the summertime. Being my stubborn self, I couldnt turn back on my plan and instead have just been taking extra precautions to the sun, heat, bugs, and everything else that will make this hike extra challenging.

Since moving to Maine, shortly after completing my AT thru-hike, I started seeing the world in a different light. The folks who knew me before my AT hike can tell you how much of a direct impact my hike has had on my in almost every aspect of life. I imagine that this hike will solidify as well as strnegthen my love for the outdoors tenfold. I have a deep appreciation for the outdoors and everything that makes up the outdoor world. I find beauty in all of the small things and question all that man does to impact this Earth.

I know I am very fortunate to be able to take 2 months off of work to hike and live outdoors and I plan to make the most of every moment. I am using this time to challenge myself in many physical and mental ways, all of which I shall expand either further in my hike or when it comes to an end. As for now, I will be focusing on my health as well as awareness of the health of our veterans. I will be supporting Warrior Expeditions and would greatly appreciate any donations on my behalf at www.warriorexpeditions.org/support/kasie-taylor/

WIsh me happy hiking,
<3 Moxie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1

Week one seems like a pretty boring title relative to everything I have experienced this week. I mean why name it "Week 1" when it could be called, "my first solo encounter with a bear" or "that time I was charged by a turkey" or what about "that time I got lost while hiking on the MST" or "lets trade feet", all of these would be great titles, but I just couldn't choose, so here we are with Week 1. Before I go into detail of the "hypothetical/could be titles" (all of which are true), let me give you the stats of my hike. Currently, I am on Day 10 (taking a zero day in Asheville). I am averaging 17 mile days (that is with minimal hiking for 24 hours, due to being 'misplaced'. My shortest day has been 16.9 miles and my longest day has been 23 miles. I have completed Segments 1 and 2. Let me tell you a bit about both. Segment 1 is 68.9 miles of challenging terrain with well maintained, marked, and switchbacked trail

Week 4

This week has brought on a whole new slew of issues. Here I am, out of the mountains, thinking everything is going to be so easy. Wrong!  Just outside of hanging rock state park, I began my bicycling journey on the MST. This is something that wasnt originally planned, but happened to workout with the timing of Zack coming down. The thing is, I've never bicycled with weight and my bike is not set up as a touring bike. So, I hopped on the bike with my pack and was ready to go. Again, wrong! Where I started cycling was a tad bit hilly. Just a few pedals in, I was huffing and puffing and my legs felt like they couldn't push me or my bike any further. I had been less than 100 yards before I was feet on the tar, hands on the bars, walking my bike up this hill I'd never seen before.  I had walked over 500 miles, I am strong! I thought. I have lost 17 lbs, I am lighter I assumed. Biking was suppose to be easy! Instead, it made me feel weak and out of shape! At that moment, I co

Summer Plans

Hey all, miss Moxie is back at it again. After a few set backs and long contemplation, I have decided to set  foot on a 1,175 mile footpath this summer, the Mountain to Sea Trail (MST). As the name insinuates the trail runs from the mountains to the sea, specifically Clingman's dome to Jockey's Ridge State Park. I will be setting out on Memorial Day and plan to finish no later than August 1. This is allowing 8 rather than the comfortable 10-12 weeks I should take to accomplish such a feat. I am ready for the challenge and could not be more excited. Continuing from my AT thru-hike in 2014, I will be supporting the veteran community, specifically, Warrior Expeditions and attempting to raise 22.00 per day to represent the 22 deaths by suicide of veterans each day. Warrior Expeditions is a non-profit organization that sends groups of veterans on long term trips to have a chance to "Walk/Paddle/Bike off the War". You can learn more about the organization as well as make a