Skip to main content

Week 5

Zack and I had a tremendous time together this weekend. I am so glad he came up and kept me company for a full four day weekend. For those that don't know, Zack and I are long distance most of the time so anytime we are together is truly cherished. The fact that we were able to see each other two weekends in a row hasnt happened before (except when I was home for a month last December). So this was pretty cool and to see each other four days in a row on top of that was even cooler. 

Saturday, as stated in the previous blog, we hiked 13 miles to a campsite. I slept in the tent, he stayed out in the hammock where it was cooler. This is the place I must have squatted in the wrong spot because the next morning I woke up with over 50 bites on my back side. 

The next morning, Sunday, we hiked 10 miles out to falls lake dam. At this time, the goal was to shower, go get food, then take care of business (shuttle my bike, resupply, go shopping, etc) so that on Monday we could just relax! 

Well plans quickly got all shuffled around. First, we wanted food! And well I've really been wanting to visit another Dickey's barbeque, the same place I ate at in Asheville. Their lemonade is amazing! So, with our luck, there was one right down the road :)

We had lunch at Dickey's then realized everything was in this direction so we went ahead and fixed up my bike and dropped it off in Clayton. After that we stopped in at REI where I bought new Salomon's. Anyone that knows me from the AT knows that I found Salomon brand shoes in Pennsylvania. This was after going through both keens and merrells the first 1000 miles. One gave me terrible blisters, the other just didn't last long enough. So once I found these Salomon's, speed cross 3, I have not switched. I mean I have purchased over 7 pair. They only last 500 miles, but they take no time to break in and are super comfortable. Most importantly, they haven't given me any foot troubles! Well today, I switched from the speedcross to the XACOMP7. I did this for several reasons. First, I normally order the speedcross on eBay for half price, but I couldn't find any in my size and I also I needed them now. Second, the speedcross are really made for trail running and last only 500 miles. I was looking for a shoe that was a little more sturdy and that is considered more of a normal hiking shoes. Lastly, they were 50 dollars cheaper than the speedcross! 

Zack and I then went to Target, I resupplied and we got some snacks for the next couple of days. While in Target, we saw some floaties that we had considered purchasing for our day off at the lake. There was a 2 person, cherry float, with 2 Cherry's on a stem. It was really funny, semi practical, and I tried to talk Zack into purchasing it but I didn't want to spend 30.00 on it either so I didn't push too hard. I figured we find something on the way home or just have a good time swimming in the lake without a floatie. 

That evening we camped out at Holly springs campground. Around 830pm, we finally showered. While at the hardware store earlier today, Zack got me some grandma's soap which apparently works really well for poison ivy, bug bites, and such. So I washed down with Dawn soap to remove any oils that may be on my body then lathered a layer of Grandma's soap on. 

Soon after we headed to bed. I couldn't sleep so well though. I kept itching and was very worried about what I had. I wasn't sure if it was chiggers or poison ivy and I wasn't sure how bad it would spread. I've had poison ivy before so bad that after spreading over most of my body I went to the doctor and we're prescribed steroids. I didn't want this to happen to me on the trail. I also didn't want to pay an outrageous amount for the doctor to tell me it was no big deal either. Currently, I am under Obamacare insurance. It only works in my state. At least, that's what I thought. In emergency situations I can be seen at urgent cares, but the out of pocket expenses is enough for me to not want to go. It does make me feel better if I ever need to go for a true emergency, you know a snake bite or something ;)

I decided I would attempt self care for now and if it got to considerably bad I would either find a trail angel to help me out or I would just bike there. Because you know, a bike gives you much more freedom than 2.0mph feet do :)

I didn't sleep so well Sunday night. I kept tossing and turning and worrying about what I could possibly have. In addition, I was also quite itchy and very hot. I decided the only way to make this better would be to go lay with Zack in the hammock. I've never been a hammock sleeper. Mainly due to the fact that I'm quite afraid to sleep without anything covering my body. I don't want spiders or mice or well anything crawling on my body overnight. So I always stay nested up in my tent, however, with the heat, hammock sleeping really is the smartest way to go! I also can't sleep on my back too easily. 

Tonight I decided that it didn't really matter. I wasn't sleeping so well in my bed and I'd rather be wrapped in Zack's arms awake all night than alone and hot in the tent. I startled him a bit when I woke him up, but he was so sweet and still half asleep let me slide in and lie next to him. I, too, eventually did fall asleep. I think his reaction to me waking him to lay with him in an already crammed area made me so at ease that falling asleep could only be the next best thing. I am truly fortunate to have such a sweet heart be my sweetheart. Hahaha. Okay I'll stop with the lovey dovey. 

Monday morning we woke up and went out to breakfast. Well it was at breakfast time, 8a.m. Zack got breakfast, I got lunch - crabcakes, Mac and cheese, some pita bread triangles, and fresh fruit. If I were to recommend any restaurant in the raleigh area it would be Brig's! Seriously, my food was 10.00 and it was 3 crabcakes and they were delicious. I was overly pleased. 

Afterwards, we went to the dollar store to get some "fix whatever Kasie has items". While here, we also found 1.00 30in floaties! We bought two! Haha. 

The rest the morning and afternoon was spent hanging out at the campsite either chilling in the hammock or at Falls Lake, a lake I had been walking around for days. It really was nice to actually experience and enjoy the lake rather than to have just let it be! 

Our floaties worked quite well! Zack stretched his out and had to reinflate it a few times. Mine stayed in great condition. It was really nice to cool off in the water and just chill. I also took a few naps, I blame it on the 100 degree temperatures and the copious amounts of benadry I was taking! 

That evening we headed for a hotel. We really wanted to escape the heat, wash clothes, and wash all my gear. For if I did have poison ivy on my gear and kept touching it, I would never get rid of it. 

We arrived shortly after check in time. Had a snack before heading down to the pool. We stayed at the pool long enough for me to sit on the steps (to chlorinate my bottom and help with whatever it is I had)  and headed back upstairs. We wanted to actually hang out in the pool, but the shade was covering it up and the water was pretty chilly. Yea, yea, I know, can't please us one way or another. We're either too hot or too cold! 

Once we got back to the room, I took an Epsom bath then we watched a bit of national geographic. It was really nice to just lie down and relax. That didn't last too long though, I needed to get laundry done and I needed to scrub my gear down. So national geographic had to take turns with our cleaning duties. Really my cleaning  duties, but Zack helped me out with it all! 

The next morning we got up, packed up, and were ready to get me to the trail shortly afternoon. I had assured Zack I wouldn't have him behind schedule. He didn't have anything he had to attend, but he did want to miss traffic and have the afternoon to get things done back home. Well.....just before leaving the hotel, I had texted a few trail angels about camping over the next few nights. I would be on a Greenway and camping was not permitted during these sections. 

Almost to the trail head, a trail angel named Neve, messaged me saying that the next evening would be perfect for me to come by. Just moments later, she invited Zack and I out on the boat with her family today. Oh, how existing! Zack and I had just talked about how nice it would be to be on a boat! 

To make this story much shorter than it is we went on their boat! Here I met the entire Agbayani family. Husband - Steve, trail angel - Neve, children - Reichen, karsh, Tristan, braunwin, lofton, and aynsleigh. Neve and all of her kids except lofton hiked the camino de Santiago trail in Europe. They actually did 2 routes totally over 1100 miles. Isn't that something! It was so exciting to meet them and I am so glad Zack got to experience them and more trail magic as well. 

After hanging out on the boat and in the water (and for Zack - on the tube), they took us back to the dock so I could hit the trail and Zack could get on the road. 

This isn't where our journey ended! It was just the beginning. That evening Neve and aynsleigh picked me after I walked 11 miles. Upon arrival of their home, we had dinner, I showered, and we went to bed. 

The next morning, Neve was going to drop me off at the trailhead where I would slack pack and hike 23 miles and bike around 4 miles back to their home. Well, aynsleigh came downstairs and asked to ride in the car. She wasn't expecting me to ask her to come along with me for the day. After a few attempts, she agreed she would go. Then she became excited to go. We got her gear together and were now ready for the journey! I was stoked! I love having company and I got to have company with a Camino thru hiker. It was an honor!

Aynsleigh and I had quite the adventure. Within just a few short minutes, we had a man ask us how far we were going. He didn't believe us when we said 20 miles. He just kept looking at us in disbelief. When I told him that aynsleigh had thru hiked the camino trail, he said, "what's that!". She explained, but he just went on about how he walked 1 hour a day to keep from getting fat and that he was on day 3,264. We knew we would make it and carried on our journey. 

We talked about the AT, the MST, the Camino trail, music, movies, food, school's, family, games, and who knows what other shenanigans.

The day grew long as the sun beat down on us. Shade was hard to find. 19.1 miles in we decided to take a break. At this location, we had a lady who works for the town of Clayton bring us cold water and shuttle us to the Flip side, a local grill. Here we met up with Steve, had some snacks, and talked about our day. Our spirits quickly lifted as our basic needs were met. 

Once our bellies were full and our bodies cooled, Steve and aynsleigh  took me back to the trailhead where I would walk 3 more miles before meeting them once again with my bike. 

That evening I made it to their home around 9pm. Aynsleigh was waiting for me at the end of the driveway and guiding me into their home. The rest of the family was there just moments later. After showering, we had an amazing dinner: salmon, potatoes, and fried rice. I also had ice cream for dessert. I talked so much about the day and answering questions about the AT that I was the last to finish dinner. 

Soon after we all went to bed. The next morning I was taking it easy. I planned out the next few days of camping and caught up on my daily logs. Around noon, I was heading out for my 30 mile bike ride past Smithfield. Steve had told me earlier that I was still in "pick up radius" if I wanted to stay the night again, but I didn't want them to drive so far. Well, as we were talking our final goodbye picture, I was quickly talked into staying. It wasn't hard to talk me into it. I really wanted to. I was staying with such a beautiful family and I was thoroughly enjoying their company. So, I waited another hour, unloaded my pack, then headed out for a 30 mile slack packed bike ride. 

That evening Steve and aynsleigh picked me up. We then stopped in for Slurpies and headed home for a movie night. Earlier that day I asked if we could watch "Ant Man" together since I hadn't seen it and it came up in aynsleigh's and my conversation the day before. We weren't able to find that movie but settled for "dogs vs cats". While enjoying the movie, we had lasagne and white rice. 

As you have read, this family took me in and treated me as their own. I received so much more than I could have expected and was given so much more than I could ever repay. The kindness, respect, laughter, and insight this family brought to me will never be forgotten. It was hard to leave them and I cannot wait til meet again in ocracoke! Their company and support pushed me through this week. I was hitting a stump on the trail and they grabbed hold of me and pushed me through. Simple words of thank you, really just don't express just how grateful I really am. 

I know much wasn't said about the terrain or the trail, but this was the experience I had this week. It wasn't about the walking or the biking or the amount of miles covered which was actually a very high amount, but rather about the trail magic, the push, the perseverance, the passion, and the friendships created on the trail. 

Happy trails y'all 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1

Week one seems like a pretty boring title relative to everything I have experienced this week. I mean why name it "Week 1" when it could be called, "my first solo encounter with a bear" or "that time I was charged by a turkey" or what about "that time I got lost while hiking on the MST" or "lets trade feet", all of these would be great titles, but I just couldn't choose, so here we are with Week 1. Before I go into detail of the "hypothetical/could be titles" (all of which are true), let me give you the stats of my hike. Currently, I am on Day 10 (taking a zero day in Asheville). I am averaging 17 mile days (that is with minimal hiking for 24 hours, due to being 'misplaced'. My shortest day has been 16.9 miles and my longest day has been 23 miles. I have completed Segments 1 and 2. Let me tell you a bit about both. Segment 1 is 68.9 miles of challenging terrain with well maintained, marked, and switchbacked trail

Week 4

This week has brought on a whole new slew of issues. Here I am, out of the mountains, thinking everything is going to be so easy. Wrong!  Just outside of hanging rock state park, I began my bicycling journey on the MST. This is something that wasnt originally planned, but happened to workout with the timing of Zack coming down. The thing is, I've never bicycled with weight and my bike is not set up as a touring bike. So, I hopped on the bike with my pack and was ready to go. Again, wrong! Where I started cycling was a tad bit hilly. Just a few pedals in, I was huffing and puffing and my legs felt like they couldn't push me or my bike any further. I had been less than 100 yards before I was feet on the tar, hands on the bars, walking my bike up this hill I'd never seen before.  I had walked over 500 miles, I am strong! I thought. I have lost 17 lbs, I am lighter I assumed. Biking was suppose to be easy! Instead, it made me feel weak and out of shape! At that moment, I co